Clackamas Academy of Industrial Sciences (CAIS) Families,
We are considering some exciting changes to the 2015-2016 academic calendar. Currently, the CAIS academic calendar is aligned to Oregon City High School (OCHS), but we are considering a change that would align our calendar with Clackamas Community College (CCC). The main purpose of this change is to increase instructional time and create more opportunities for students to graduate with a high school diploma and an industry relevant certification or associates degree from CCC.
Why are we currently aligned with the OCHS calendar and class schedule?
When CAIS originally opened in 2010, we needed a relationship with OCHS to operate. The school had 30-40 students and required OCHS teachers and courses to complete our class offerings. Over the past few years, the need to utilize OCHS courses has greatly diminished. Currently, a small number of students interested in JROTC, band and foreign language course offerings are attending OCHS. If we align our calendar with CCC, our students will utilize more CCC course offerings instead of OCHS courses. CAIS students would still be eligible to participate in athletics and many extracurricular activities at OCHS.
What does aligning with CCC look like?
Aligning with CCC would essentially mean school would start in late September and end a week to two weeks later in June. For an in-depth look at the proposed calendar changes and additional information about current challenges and benefits of making this change, see the additional information and example calendars following this message.
What are the next steps?
- Attend one of the Parent Informational Meetings on January 28th or 29th at 6:15pm to discuss this proposed improvement and provide feedback
- Complete the online survey that will be sent out on January 29th.
- If the parent night and survey further support this calendar improvement, then a subcommittee of students, parents, and board members would work to draft our new calendar for final consideration and approval by the CAIS Board of Directors.
The following is a proposed timeline for examining and making a decision on a CAIS calendar for 2015-16.
- January 9, 2015: Letter to parents
- January 14, 2015: Calendar change concept presented to CAIS Board of Directors at regularly scheduled board meeting
- January 20, 2015: Parent Information Meeting from 5:30-6:30pm at CAIS
- January 21, 2015: Parent survey sent to all families via email
- March 11, 2015: Proposed calendar presented to CAIS Board of Directors at regularly scheduled board meeting
- May 13, 2015: CAIS Board of Directors vote on proposed calendar at regularly scheduled board meeting
What are some of the current conflicts created by aligning our calendar with OCHS?
Alignment with Oregon City High School has created conflicts that have continued to affect a large number of students. Below are examples of those conflicts:
- Students taking 1st trimester courses at CCC have to miss CAIS courses for 3 weeks at the beginning of 2nd trimester because our trimesters overlap in December – Similar overlap during 2nd and 3rd trimester transition
- Shuttles running from OCHS to CAIS cut class periods short by 10-15 minutes
- OCHS runs multiple schedules during the year for assemblies (9 different bell schedules as of 12/1/14) that cut our class periods short or keep students from attending one or more classes on those days
- Students taking a 1st or 2nd period course at OCHS do not have access to our intervention period for additional support
What are the benefits to aligning our school calendar with CCC?
- Students taking courses at CAIS and CCC would have trimester class schedules that change on the same dates
- Winter and spring breaks would fall between trimesters instead of in the middle of them
- Increased collaboration between CAIS and CCC in offering advanced college credit coursework
- Consistent class period schedule
- Significant increase in uninterrupted instructional time
- Increase in 5-day weeks during the trimester
- More students able to earn industry relevant certificates or associates degrees from CCC
- Creates opportunity for woods and manufacturing course offerings at CAIS for 8th, 9th & 10th graders in 2016-17